The credit union’s operation system failure has not been resolved.  This has affected not only our ability to perform member transactions, it has disabled our phone system.  We currently cannot access members accounts nor receive phone calls. 

An emergency call has been placed with Bright House, our internet provider.  However, there seems to be a issue in this area and our needs have been placed on hold. 

The credit union office will be closing at 1pm and will resume its regular hours in the morning.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.


Signature loan special 03 2017

ask about our new car rates